PTSD Service Dog Training in Utah County
A Psychiatric/PTSD service animal will be able to go anywhere with their handler and assist them in times of high anxiety and stress. A service dog will provide emotional support, reintegration into society, reduce depression, reduce the frequency and severity of flashbacks, anchor handler to the present, and reduce suicidal ideation. Professional dog training in Utah County is required for dogs to be certified as a PTSD service dog.
Individuals with PTSD often feel unsafe and unsure of reality, especially in public settings. Service dogs for PTSD can help ground their handler to reality, prevent people from crowding or rushing up to them and provide the emotional support needed to de-escalate anxieties. They can be trained to recognize the signs of a panic attack, wake individuals experiencing night terrors and regulate emotional responses through pressure.
Get a FREE in-home evaluation
from Dog Training Elite Utah!
Benefits of Psychiatric Service Dog Training:
- Increase activity and integration into society: Dogs are active and need to be exercised regularly, the responsibility of caring for a service animal will force their handler to get out and exercise. A routine is established and ties to the future are forged again.
- Create a sense of safety: Public settings and crowds are an enormous trigger for most individuals suffering from PTSD. Psychiatric service dogs are trained to create a physical barrier between their handler and crowds of people.
- Ground in reality, redirect hyper-vigilance: Hyper-vigilance is a symptom of PTSD and creates constant tension and paranoia within suffers. Service dogs are trained to recognize their handler’s warning signs for anxiety, hyper-vigilance, and panic attacks and redirect that energy into positive coping skills and grounding techniques such as petting the dog.
- Reduce nightmares and flashbacks: One of the most emotionally challenging situations for individuals with PTSD to deal with are flashbacks and nightmares. They can transport an individual back to a terrifying time in their life where they have felt unsafe, threatened, and traumatized. A PTSD service animal is trained to bring their handler back to reality quickly and calmly, ground the individual, and help them to feel safe in their environment again.
Dog Training Elite's Positive Service Dog Training Methods
Dog Training Elite’s psychiatric/PTSD service dog training program is highly successful as it is personalized and inclusive of the individual with PTSD. Our programs are set up to produce the best results possible and we have found that training our service dogs alongside their owners in their own home promotes bonding, lasting results, and a positive working relationship.
Call us today to schedule a free in-home assessment with one of our trainers to determine if your dog is a good fit for service dog training Utah County. We will also bring one of our fully trained service dogs to demonstrate the full capabilities of a PTSD service dog.
Our Balanced Theory
We base our training around the "Classical Conditioning" model (aka "Pavlovian" or "respondent conditioning"). This includes developing conditioned or automatic reflexes to commands. In it's simplest form (after proper conditioning) -- when the owner says 'sit', dog automatically sits without thinking about it. Our unique techniques ensure our program is a success no matter the behavior we encounter.
Empowering OwnersWe empower owners to train so their dog knows who to obey at all times.
PersonalizedWe deal with problem behaviors on a personal basis.
Environment SpecificWe train wherever issues tend to arise (i.e. jogging, park, home).
SupportiveWe support owners in the off-hours (when training is "not in session").
InvolvedWe work with all members of household.
Simplified & CustomizedWe plan training around owner's schedule and require only 15 min/day follow-up practice.
Continued TrainingAdditional programs / group sessions offered after in-home training.
Lifetime InvestmentWe follow-up & are invested in owner's success long-term.
Satisfaction RatingsOur high client satisfaction rating sets us apart from competitors.
clas·si·cal con·di·tion·ng PSYCHOLOGY noun
- A learning process that occurs when two stimuli are repeatedly paired; a response that is at first elicited by the second stimulus and is eventually elicited by the first stimulus alone.
Wondering if we have puppy training services near you?
Getting a new puppy is exciting, especially for new puppy owners. The love and joy that a dog can bring as a companion or as part of a family is undeniable. The most common mistake new owners make, however, is to underestimate the knowledge, commitment, and effort needed to train a new puppy. Once a puppy begins to grow, their energy can quickly feel unmanageable. It is all too common that a well-meaning and loving family takes on a puppy, lacking the knowledge and skills to properly train. This often results in overwhelmed owners rehoming or taking these puppies to local shelters feeling that the disposition of the puppy is a bad one or simply that they are not cut out to be dog owners.
Our processes allow for us to easily complete our in-home puppy training Utah County at your home or within the environment where behaviors manifest— such as in the park or around other dogs while you walk through the neighborhood!