A mobility support dog can increase an individual’s independence and quality of life, a service dog can assist with tasks that are impossible or difficult for their handler to do on their own. A trained brace and mobility service dog can be taken anywhere and is trained to their handler’s specific mobility needs which can include standing, transferring positions, stability assistance, retrieving dropped items, retrieving medication or specific items, ambulatory assistance, recognizing and assisting in emergency situations, alerting others in the home or in public settings in emergencies, pulling a wheelchair for a short distance, opening/closing doors and emotional support.
Mobility support dogs help to increase independence and provide the stability, safety, and support that allows for increased activity and peace of mind. Dog Training Elite Kansas City South’s mobility service dog training program is highly successful as it is personalized and inclusive of the handler and their family. Our programs are set up to produce the best results possible and we have found that training our service dogs alongside their owners in their own home promotes bonding, lasting results, and a positive working relationship.
For full package details (with disclaimers) please reference our pricing page.
Mobility Support Dog Training
A mobility support dog can increase an individual's independence and quality of life by assisting with tasks that are difficult or impossible to complete on their own. A brace and mobility support dog can be taken anywhere and are trained to their handlers specific mobility and ambulatory needs. Mobility service dog tasks are customizable, but examples include:
- Forward Momentum Pull
- Open Doors
- Turn Lights On/Off
About Mobility Support Dogs
Most brace and mobility support dogs wear a specially designed harness that allows both the dog and handler to safely and securely work together to provide stable ambulation. Those who could benefit from a service dog specifically trained in brace and mobility support include:
- Those with vertigo and balance disorders often suffer from dizziness and are often unstable when walking. A mobility and brace support dog can help orient, ground, and stabilize their handler as they ambulate.
- Many physical disabilities such as cerebral palsy, MS, spina bifida or back injuries can lead to irregularities in balance, gait, stability and ambulation. Mobile support dogs provide stability and counterbalance support which can allow their handler to walk safely with assistance.
- Some medications or disabilities have adverse side effects that can impair alertness and the ability to safely walk and respond to emergencies. A service dog can be trained to help navigate a disoriented handler through both regular daily activities and emergency situations.
- Those who have health risks that cause unconsciousness can benefit from a trained service dog that can retrieve help, call emergency services on a special phone, and reposition their handler if they are unable to breathe.
- Muscle dystrophy disorders, strokes, and many other conditions can reduce one’s strength, coordination, stability, and ability to complete simple tasks such as opening drawers or reaching light switches. A mobility service dog can complete simple daily tasks that are difficult for their handler to accomplish due to their diminished mobility.
Dog Training Elite Kansas City South Offers Free Evalutions
Dog Training Elite offers free in-home evaluations to assess if a current family dog can be trained to become a mobility support service dog or can help you select a service puppy or dog for training. We offer a unique in-home dog training method that involves owners in the training process, ensuring that training is never undone and both owners and their dogs are bonding and empowered.
Our Balanced Theory
We base our training around the "Classical Conditioning" model (a.k.a. "Pavlovian" or "respondent conditioning"). This includes developing conditioned or automatic reflexes to commands. In its simplest form (after proper conditioning), when the owner says "sit," the dog automatically sits without thinking about it. Our unique techniques ensure our program is a success no matter what behavior we encounter.
Empowering OwnersWe empower Owners to train so their dog knows who to obey at all times.
PersonalizedWe deal with problem behaviors on a personal basis.
Environment SpecificWe train wherever issues tend to arise (i.e. jogging, park, home).
SupportiveWe support Owners in the off-hours (when training is "not in session").
InvolvedWe work with all members of the household.
Simplified & CustomizedWe plan training around the owner's schedule and require only 20 min/day follow-up practice.
Continued TrainingAdditional programs / group sessions offered after in-home training.
Lifetime InvestmentWe follow up & are invested in the owner's success long-term.
Satisfaction RatingsOur high client satisfaction rating sets us apart from competitors.
A learning process that occurs when two stimuli are repeatedly paired; a response that is at first elicited by the second stimulus and is eventually elicited by the first stimulus alone.
Proud Sponsor of The Malinois Foundation
At Dog Training Elite Kansas City South, we believe that Service Dogs save lives. It is our mission to make these life-saving companions available to our Veterans, First Responders, Women Survivors, and Children with Medical Needs. Whether it be for PTSD, Mobility Support, or Special Needs, Dog Training Elite Kansas City South work's with the Malinois Foundation to heal and empower these individuals with a specialized service animal, a partner in life, and a new best friend.